Τουριστική Πύλη Νομού Αχαΐας Logo

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)
Attractions -> Religious monuments
E-mail Print PDF
A+ A -A Larger Font Smaller Font

Μέγα Σπήλαιο

We have very few information at our disposal up to the beginnings of the 9th Century A.D., when the first monks arrived, like Symeon and Theodoros from Thessaloniki, responsible for the christianization of the Slaves, who had in the meantime settled in the region. The two monks resided in Mega Spilaio, while at the same time other monks from southern Italy were suffering from Arabic raids.

In the following century, the monasteries of Saint Nikolas of Taxiarches in Aigialia and probably that of St. Lavra (Palaiomonastiro) were established. The bishopric of Kernitsa was also erected next to the villages of Katholiko and Kastro. The Taxiarches monastery in Aegio dates to the later Byzantine period and is connected with the work of monk Leontios, and the renovation or the expansion of the Mega Spilaio and St. Lavra monasteries. During the same period (13th Century) the church of Saint Nikolas of Agridi was painted with holy icons.

During Frankish domination the region was divided between the Vostitsa’s barony in the north and kalavrita’s in the south. At the headquarters of the baronies, castles were built, while two more fortifications of the same period have been preserved, that of Tremoula’s and Kastelli’s in the area of ancient Kleitor, where the so called Fragoklissi has also be found.

In the early post-Byzantine years, a decline in the monuments’ construction is noted, especially during the first Ottoman period if we exclude the monuments related to the Islamic religion (mosques) and the Turkish Baths. Nevertheless, in the early 17th century things changed. It is then that the monastery of Katathesion or Katafygion was built at Chalkianika, the monastery of Holy Apostles at Perithori, the monastery of Agia Triada at Livartzi, of Poretso, the ones of St. Theodoroi at Aroania, as well as the ones of St. Nikolas and Holy Monastery across the Vouraikos valley.

The construction of monasteries and churches was favored more during the second Venetian period (1687-1715). Monuments were constructed or renovated, like the new monastery of St. Lavra, the new Taxiarches monastery in the Aigialia and the Palaiomonastiro in Akrata.

The construction of churches continued in the 18th and 19th century. The best examples are found in Kloukinochoria of the former Nonakris municipality, place of origin of the famous Varvarites craftsmen. During this period, the churches of the Assumption and St. Athanasius at Chalkianika were built, St. Ioannis in Peristera, St. Georgios at Solo, St. Barbara in the homonymous village, as well as the churches of Trinity, St. Dimitrios and the Assumpion in Zarouchla. In most of the above mentioned churches and monasteries wall paintings have been saved, valuable relics and manuscripts. In the mountainous regions of eastern Achaia, the historical monasteries of Makellaria, St. Nikolas in Vlassia, pepelenitsa, St. Ioannis Theologos in Verino, Plataniotissa, Faneromeni, Evaggelistria in Dafni, St. Athanasios Filia, the churche of St. Apostoloi in Chryssanthio and so on can be found.

 

Monasteries of Achaia prefecture

MONASTERY OF PANAGIA
GEROKOMITISSA
MONASTERY OF PROPHET ILIAS MONASTERY OF AGIOS
NIKOLAOS BALA
MONASTERY OF OMBLOS MONASTERY OF PANAGIA ELEOUSA MONASTERY OF St
IOANNIS THEOLOGOS
MONASTERY OF OSIOS
LEONDIOS TAXIARHES
MONASTERY OF PANAGIA
PEPELENITSA
MONASTERY OF AGIA
TRIADA VOURON
MONASTERY OF HOLY
TRINITY AKRATA
MONASTERY OF CHRYSSOPODARITISSA MONASTERY OF PANAGIA
MAKELLARIAS
MONASTERY OF HOLY SAINTS MONASTERY OF VIRGIN MARY NOTENON MONASTERY OF MARITSA – FILOKALI
MONASTERY OF St NIKOLAOS SPATA MONASTERY OF MEGA SPILEO MONASTERY OF AGIA LAVRA
MONASTERY OF St.
NIKOLAOS VLASSIAS
MONASTERY OF St.
ATHANASIOS FILION
MONASTERY OF St.
THEODOROI AROANIAS
MONASTERY OF FANEROMENI MONASTERY OF
EVANGELISTRIA DAPHNES
MONASTERY OF THE
ASCENSION IN MIDILOGLI
MONASTERY OF HOLY
TRINITY IN LIVARTZI
MONASTERY OF VIRGIN MARY
(PAPOULAKOU)
MONASTERY OF St GEORGE

 

Churches of Achaia prefecture

CHURCH OF St ANDREW IN PATRAS PANAGIA TRIPITI IN AIGIO ST NIKOLAS IN PLATANI (MUNICIPALITY OF RIO)
CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY IN PLATANOVRISSI (FARRES) CHURCH OF ST ATHANASSIOS IN CHALANDRITSA (Farres) CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY IN CHALANDRITSA (FARRES)
CHURCH OF ST DIMITRIOS IN BADA PETROCHORI (DIMI) CHURCH OF PANAGIA PLATANIOTISSA (KALAVRYTA) OTHER CHURCHES

 

 

 

Monastery of Panagia Gerokomitissa

monigirokomiou.jpg

One of the oldest monasteries in Greece is situated east of Patras, at the prehistoric settlement of Messatis. In ancient years, according to Pafsanias, there was an exquisite temple near the Monastery, the temple of Triklaria Artemis.

The Monastery which has always been inhabited by monks, owns rare documents and has a rich library. It celebrates on 15th August.

 

Up 

 

Monastery of prophet Elias 

profitis_Ilias.jpg

It is a community monastery for nuns, within the geographical boundaries of the city of Patras, that stretches for 5,ooo square metres. It is a very old monastery that existed before 1715, but it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1806 and by the Turks in 1821.
The monastery celebrates the following dates:

 

 

 

    1. July the 20th “Profet Helias the Thesvitou
    2. September the 14th “ World’s Exaltation of the Holy Cross” and the 3rd Sunday of fast

Information: http://www.i-m-patron.gr/mones/prof_hliou/prof_hliou.html

Up

Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Bala

ag_nikolaos_mpala.jpg

A monastery for nuns near village Bala nor’ east of Patras. It is also called Palaiomonastero or Palaiomonastiro, because it was established at the end of the 6th century. There are relics of saints and a piece of the Holy Wood as well as the miraculous icon of St. Nickolas. It celebrates three times a year, on 6th December, 10th May and 17th May.

 

 

Up

Monastery of Omblos

omplos1.jpg

At an altitude of about 860 metres, near the village Saravali (15 klm from Patras) we find the historic monastery of Ombil Virgin Mary, as the Albanian-speaking people call it, that is of Sweet Virgin Mary. The Monastery must have been established at the time of Palaiologoi family at the beginning of the 15th century, at a very safe location due to the existence of three forts.

 omplos2.jpg

 

Nowadays, there are three pieces of the Holy Wood and many relics in the Monastery, a silver Cross of 1789, two old icons of Virgin Mary holding Jesus, and other valuable items.
There are also rare documents and a rich collection of old books. It celebrates on 21st November.

 

Up

Monastery of Panagia Eleousa

panagia_eleousa.jpg

It is situated near village Pititsa, about half an hour away from Patra, in a beautiful forest right below Salmeniko, where there was a fortress at the beginning of the 13th century.

Originally, there was a place for ascets in a cave in the forest, where one can find nowadays the Church of the Ascension. Probably in 1510, the monks built the present Monastery that was open until 1834. Later, in 1947, the nuns reopened the Monastery. It celebrates on 23rd August.

 

Up

Monastery of St Ioannis Theologos

agiou_ioannou_theologou_verino.jpgAt the village of Verino, 30 minutes away from Aigio, there is a monastery for nuns, that was probably established during the 14th century.

On 17th July 1827, it was besieged by the Egyptian invader, Imbraem, who fought for a whole day and lost many of his soldiers, but finally conquered the monastery without destroying it. The Monastery celebrates on 26th September and 8th of May. In the monastery a Byzantine-style mural, a silver tray and holy relics have been saved. 

Up

Monastery of Taxiarhes of Osios Leondios

It is located 15 klm away from Aigio. Osios Leondios established it, who was an ascetic for years on the rock of Klokos and then, with the passing of years and the gathering of Christians, the Palaiomonastiro of Taxiarhes Michael was built, probably during the 10th Century. There was a fire in 1621 and after that the Monastery was built at a more accessible location, but it was destroyed by the Alban-Turks in 1772. During the Greek Revolution it was used as a hospital. One can find in the Monastery pieces of the Holy Wood, the Holy Chlamys and the Crown of Thorns, and Stones from the Holy Tomb). The Monastery celebrates on 8th November.

Up

Monastery of Panagia Pepelenitsa

monipepelrnita.jpgIt is located opposite to the Monastery of Taxiarhes, near the village of Kounina, originally called "hope of the despondent". Oral tradition offers two versions for its establishment: That the Monastery was built by the mother and sister of Osios Leondios or that it was built by Eleni Palaiologina –wife of emperor Manouel Palaiologos, or by Eleni Palaiologina daughter, of the Achaia’s Bishop Thomas Palaiologo, whose name was Bebel Elenitsa or Bebes Elenitsa; thus the name "Pepelenitsa" It celebrates on the 15th of August. 

Up

Monastery of Agia Triada Vouron

agia_triada_bourwn.jpgBuilt on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to goddess Earth, near the village of Trapeza in the Municipality of Diakopto. The Monastery, that is deserted today, must have been established at the end of the 14th century. 

 

 

Up

Monastery of Agia Triada Akratas

agia_triada_akrata.jpgOriginally, at the end of the 16th century, the Monastery was situated in Pori or Kolonitis, where the curb of a steep rock there, was once the place for acsets and then the Temple of Agioi Pandes was built. Since the beginning of the 18th century, the Monastery has been located in Akrata and the visitor can find relics of Saints and rare Items there, like a Bible of 1672.

Up

Monastery of Chryssopodaritissa

xrysopodaritissa.jpg

The Monastery is between the villages of Kalanistra and Kalanos in Farres, in beautiful surroundings. Virgin Mary is called Chrissopodaritissa (She, with the golden feet) because she has miraculous feet and rushes to help anyone in need. According to another version, the name comes from the fact that Virgin Mary healed the foot of a Christian. Metropolitan Bishop Paleon Patron Germanos visited the Monastery very often and during the Greek Revolution it turned into a supply center. It celebrates on the 23rd of August. Before its establishment, there were places for ascetics in the area and, actually, the first temple was in a cave with stalagmites. There are religious paintings on the walls of the cave.

Up

Monastery of Panagia Makellaria

makelaria_1ekalavrita.gr.jpg

On the right bank of the river Selinountas near the village of Lapanagoi in the Municipality of Kalavryta, stands the monastery of Panagia Makellaria which according to the tradition was built by the Emperor Justinian Velissarios.

 

The Icon of Virgin Mary, located in the monastery, is extraordinary, as it gives the feeling to the visitor that wherever he might stands, Virgin Mary looks back at him. Panagia Makelarissa celebrates on 15th and 23rd August. Many people gather to genuflect before the icon and to take the miraculous oil.

 

Up

Monastery of Agion Panton

ag_pantes_tritaia.jpg

Near the village Velimahi of Tritaia and surrounded by a magnificent forest lies the monastery, the construction of which is associated with a number of legends and traditions.
Originally, the monastery was built where the Monastery of Taxiarhes is situated nowadays. The harsh weather conditions made the monks move to a lower altitude and built the Monastery in St Antonios location right across from its present one. But even this new location did not contribute to the smooth running of the monastery.
The present Monastery must have been built between 1715 and 1728 by monk Nektarios, who is reputed to have had miraculous powers.

Through the years the Monastery became more and more connected to the Monastery of St Aikaterini in Sina. After the intervention of Sinaites monks, the Monastery was protected by the local Turkish authorities, following an order by the Sultan, although there are many traditions regarding the Sultan’s role in the protection of the Monastery. The Monastery celebrates on the Sunday of Agion Panton.

 

Up

Monastrey of Virgin Mary of Notenon

moni_notenwn.jpg

Near Skiadas, on one of the slopes of Mt. Erymanthos, we find the Monastery that took its name from the family of Notides. Originally, it was built on the top of Erymanthos, on the ruins of an ancient temple, probably that of Apollon.

Later on, due to bad weather conditions, the monks built the monastery where it is situated today. A little further we find the cave where Saint Joakeim lived as an ascetic and the temple built there to honour the saint. The Monastery celebrates on the 23rd of August.

Up

Monastery of Maritsa - Filokali

moni_maritsas.jpg

The Monastery that is dedicated to Saint Marina lies between Elaiohori and Santameri and close to the Frankish castle of Arlas or “Gyftokastro”. It was reconstructed at the beginning of the 18th century on the foundations of an older monastery, founder of which seems to be Theodoros B’ Palaiologos, in 1430.

Paleon Patron Germanos intervened for the restoration of the Monastery in 1819, after the damages it suffered by the Turks. Near the Monastery and village Riolos, one finds the Monastery of Filokali that is dedicated to Virgin Mary.

The name dates back to Byzantine times, when the area belonged to Filokali family. The Monastery was established much later, at the beginning of the 18th century.

Up

Monastery of St Nikolaos Spata

ΙΕΡΑ ΜΟΝΗ ΑΓΙΟΥ ΝΙΚΟΛΑΟΥ ΣΠΑΤΩΝIt is situated in the homonymous village (Municipality of Larissos) and belongs to the Metropolis of Helia. The finding of a miraculous icon led to the construction of a chapel at the beginning of the 19th century and later (1875) a bigger one was built in its place. In our days, it is a monastery community and has undertaken charity work. There is also an orphanage

Up

Monastery of Mega Spileo

ΙΕΡΑ ΜΟΝΗ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΣΠΗΛΑΙΟΥ

This is one of the oldest, historic monasteries in Greece, situated 11km far from Kalavrita, on the western, bare and sheer slope of Helmos. According to tradition, founders of the monastery are the monks Symeon and Theodoros from Thessaloniki, who having lived as monks in Agion Oros and went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and Sina, led by Virgin Mary and with the help of a shepherdess Efrosini, discovered the Icon of Virgin Mary (made by Luke the Apostle) in the inaccessible Cave.

 

 ΙΕΡΑ ΜΟΝΗ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΣΠΗΛΑΙΟΥ Then, in 362, the monastery was constructed for the first time accompanied by various legends. The visitor will find a wealth of heirlooms, among which the icon of Virgin Mary that was painted by Apostle Lukas, a rare flag that bears the figures of three Byzantine Emperors, an invaluable cross made of the Holy Wood, etc. Its library comprises of more than 3,000 volumes, as well as manuscripts, five of which bare remarkable miniatures. It celebrates on the 15th of August.

 

Information:
Monastery og Mega Spilaio
25001 - Κalavryta • Τel.:+30 26920-23130,+30 26920-22401 

Up

 

Monastery of Agia Lavra

Agia_Lavra1.jpgWest of Kalavryta, at a distance of 6km., lies the historic monastery of Agia Lavra, founded in 961AD.

It became the centre of the Greek Revolution of 1821, as the flag of the Revolution was raised here and the swearing-in of the fighters occurred here from Paleon Patron Germanos. It wasn’t long before the Monastery became a target for the conquerors, who finally burned it down on the May 4, 1826. Fortunately, they weren’t able to plunder it, as the monks had promptly removed all valuable objects. New persecutions, executions and damages took place here in December 1943 by the German conquerors.Ag_Lavra3.gif

 

However, despite their hardships and difficulties, the monks managed to save the Flag of the Revolution that depicts the Assumption of the Virgin, made in Smyrna at the end of the 16th century, as well as the skull of Saint Alexios, which was given as a gift to the Monastery by Manouel Komninos in 1359. Among other heirlooms, one can find a rare Bible, gift of the Empress of Russia, Aikaterini, Holy relics, two hand-written Bibles of the 11th and 14th century, pontificals, and very old icons. Additionally, valuable codes with historical and folkloric content, works of Ancient Greek writers, various Enetian and Byzantine documents and a rich library, are also been saved.
The Monastery celebrates on 15 August.

 

Information:
Monastery of Agia Lavra
25001 - Κalavryta • Τel.:+30 26920-22363 • FAX:+30 26920-22006

Up

Monastery of St. Nikolaos Vlassias

agios_nikolaos_vlasias.jpgOver Vlassia village, at an altitude of 950 metres and on the top of a conoid hill, covered with pine trees, stands the work of monk Arsenios, who took ascetic vows along with the founder of the Monastery of Agia Lavra, Evgenios. After many disasters, unfortunately, only few heirlooms of the Monastery are saved. Among them is the icon of St. Nikolaos that dates back to 1115 and according to the inscription was repaired in 1739.

Information:
Monastery of St. Nikolaos Vlassias
25013 - Μetochi Vlassias • Τel.:+30 26920-41248 

Up

Monastery of St. Athanasios Filion

agiosathanasiosfilia.jpg

The Monastery of St. Athanasios lies near Filia village in the Municipality of Lefkassio, on the southern side of mountain Thisvetio. We do not know the exact date the Monastery was founded, but it is estimated that it is not older than 350 years.

It is a three-storey building, 70 metres long, made of stone with a paved courtyard and spacious square, all characteristics of the Roman period. It consists of 50 monk cells and 10 storehouses.

It celebrates on the 2nd of May and many believers form Filia and the nearby villages come here to honour the memory of the Saint.

 

 

Up

Monastery of St. Theodoroi Aroanias

ag_theodoroi.jpg

The Monastery is situated northwest of Sopoto, on the slope of mountain Zembi, at an altitude of 1.000 metres. It was founded in 1724 by monk Symeon.
The Monastery turned into a significant intellectual centre during the Turkish domination and served as a Secret School and Church. During the Revolution of 1821, the Monastery was a refuge for those persecuted by the Turks, like Theodoros Kolokotronis, and a hospital for the wounded. The central temple of the monastery is of Byzantine architecture and is dedicated to St. Theodoroi.

Up

Monastery of Faneromeni

Very close to the Monastery of St. Theodoroi is the Monastery of Faneromeni, which dates back to the end of the 16th century. It went through good and bad times: it was deserted in 1836, collapsed in 1922 and reopened in 1928 with the help of the Monastery of St. Theodoroi. 

Up

Monastery of Evangelistria at Daphnes

evaggelistria_dafnis.jpgThe Byzantine Monastery of Evangelistria, where beautiful icons are kept, lies near Daphne. It was built during the 11th-13th centuries above Strezova, on the slopes of Aphrodisian mountain (Korakofolia). The course of the village and the Monastery were parallel, due to the privileges that the Monasteries had during the Turkish domination.
The Monastery was burned in 1826 by Imbraem but was rebuilt in 1830. All the leaders of the Greek Revolution stopped by at the Monastery for information, supplies, etc. (Kanellos Deligiannis, with the outbreak of the Revolution, hid his family here).
The Monastery was dissolved in 1854 and it was only recently that it reopened as a Monastery for nuns who are glad to welcome and accommodate visitors. It is 2.5km far from Daphne and celebrates on 25th of March. 

Up

Monastery of the Ascension at Midilogli

iera_moni_analipseow_mintilogli1.jpgIt is a Monastery of the Byzantine Empire, dating back to 700AD and situated at an idyllic environment in the area of Midilogli, with a magnificent view of the bay of Patras. It is made of stone and its architecture and arches are marvellous.
There is enough space for celebrations and happenings. In our days, the Temple of the Monastery performs masses and celebrates on the Ascension Day while, many religious ceremonies take place here.

Up

Other Monasteries

Apart from the aforementioned Monasteries, there are more of them that you can visit, such as:
- The Monastery of Holy Trinity in Livartzi, near village Livartzi in the Municipality of Aroania, which was founded in 1650, but now is deserted.
- The Monastery of Virgin Mary in village Arbouna in the Municipality of Lefkassio. Behind tall firs stands the Monastery of Christoforos Panagiotopoulos (or Papoulakos) that was built with his own hands in 1830. Nowadays, it is closed.
- The Monastery of St Georgios near village Manessi of Kalavryta, which was built in 1824. The Monastery’s life was very short, but the faithful women repaired it and reopened it quite recently.
- The Monastery of St Apostles, very close to village Perithori in the Municipality of Egira. We do not know the exact year it was founded, but there are murals in the Monastery that date back to 1621. In the monastery and in the neighboring churches, the monks work on copying church books.
- The Monastery of St Vlassios in Ambelokipoi in the Municipality of Egira, a monastery for nuns, which is built in the rock of Agios Vassileios at an altitude of 800 meters. During the Turkish Domination it served as a school.

Up

 

CHURCHES
 

THE CHURCH OF St ANDREW IN PATRAS

ag_andreas_1.jpgTwo churches of different architecture have been built at the place where Saint Andreas, the patron Saint of the city, was murdered on the cross. It is the Old Church, of Byzantine style, work of Lis. Kautadzoglou, the construction of which started in 1835 and opened 8 years later, and the New Church that was inaugurated on September 26 1974, which, according to the words of Metropolitan Bishop, Nikodimos, is the biggest in size and the greatest in beauty of all the Balkan churches.

Next to the Old Church, one can find the ST Andrew’s Spring, exactly where the spring of Dimitra was in ancient years. Its water is considered to be holy because Christ’s first disciple left his last breath there. The New Church of St Andreas is of Byzantine architecture and it was founded in 1908 by King George the 1st. It is a brilliant creation of high elegance that reminds us of the Byzantine’s glory days.

Up

PANAGIA TRIPITI IN AIGIO

panagia_tripiti.jpgAbove the old Paper Production factory and perched on a rock at the beach of Egio, is the Church of Panagia Tripiti that celebrates on Zoodochos Pigi (The Source of Life) day. Panagia Tripiti is a beautiful, imposing church that looks like a big painting stuck on the rock. Apart from the icon of Virgin Mary, the church has the icon of St George, work of an unknown artist, which depicts the Saint on foot rather than on horse as is usually the case.

A small spring is found at the entrance of the Church, coming from the rock, from which Christians get Holy Water. The inscription above the spring writes “ΝΙΨΟΝΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑ ΜΗ ΜΟΝΑΝ ΟΨΙΝ” (wash your sins not just your face) a phrase that can be read vice versa. The Church celebrates on Easter Friday.

Up

ST NIKOLAS IN PLATANI (MUNICIPALITY OF RIO)

agios_nikolaos_platani.jpgThis is one of the oldest and most significant buildings that stands for about 10 centuries in village Platani. The architectural technique, according to which it was built, is characteristic of the Byzantine monuments in Greece.

The church’s interior is circular and its exterior has the form of the Cross. Its dome is made of bricks and, according to archaeologists, it must have been built at a later date. Near the present location of the Church was the ancient port of Panormos, where Poseidon’s temple had been moved from Rio and was probably later on been replaced by the St. Nicola’s church.

Up

CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY (THEOTOKOU) IN PLATANOVRISSI (MUNICIPALITY OF FARRES)

THEOTOKOY_PLATANOBRYSH.jpgThe Byzantine Church of Virgin Mary which was probably built in 1400 is in Platanovrissi (Metzaina) in the Municipality of Farres within a very short distance from the Patras – Kalavryta road. The main Temple is square and divided into three unequal aisles by two walls. There are two pillars in the middle of each wall. The roof of all three aisles used to be wooden.

Up

CHURCH OF ST ATHANASSIOS IN CHALANDRITSA (Municipality of Farres)

The Church of Sts Athanassios exists in Chalandritsa since 1100 and is one of the most important religious monuments in Chalandritsa and the whole Prefecture of Achaia, according to researcher L.K.Karnaros.

Opposite to the Chancel Table, the wooden icon of St Athanassios bears marks of the Turkish-Albanian bullets of 1772. Even today, there is a bullet embedded in the wood.

Up

CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF VIRGIN MARY IN CHALANDRITSA (MUNICIPALITY OF FARRES)

This is a church of immense historical importance to the area, as recent research has discovered that it is a building of the 13th-14th century. Its dome is octagonal with a Basilica temple.

Up

CHURCH OF ST DIMITRIOS IN BADA PETROCHORI (MUNICIPALITY OF DIMI)

agiosDimitriosmpada.jpgIt is a Byzantine church of the 12th century that was renovated in 1750. Near the church there is a cave that used to be a secret school during the Turkish Domination. Its murals date back to the 18th century and its embrasures bear testimony to its involvement in warfare.

 

Up

CHURCH OF PANAGIA PLATANIOTISSA (MUNICIPALITY OF KALAVRYTA)

plataniotissa.jpgThe chapel of Panagia Plataniotissa is situated in a very green, enchanting location with running waters, at a distance of 30km from Egio and 8km from

Pteri (Municipality of Egio), in the village of Plataniotissa in the Municipality of Kalavryta. The chapel was formed in the cavity of a plane tree and is a natural church. It was formed in the cavity of an enormous plane tree which was the result of the coincident grow of three trees that over the years joined together to create this remarkable masterpiece of nature.

This historic plane tree is about 25m high and its perimeter is 16m near the root and 12.65m in the middle. The chapel has capacity of only 15 people. It has a small temple with two small pillars which form the portal of the temple. The image of Virgin Mary holding the Holy Infant is depicted on the plane tree, 3m above the ground and at a depth of 0.25m, inside the tree’s hole (0,37 x 0,37 meters).

The chapel celebrates on September 8.

Up

OTHER CHURCHES

There are many other churches in the Prefecture of Achaia, among which:
- The Church of St Nikolaos across the Monastery of Taxiarches near Egio that dates back to the Palaiologon era.
- The Church of St Nikolaos in village Agridi (Municipality of Akrata) with exquisite murals that date back to the 13th century.
- The Church of St George in village Solos (Municipality of Akrata), a Byzantine building of the 15th century, with the throne of the chieftain Nikolaos Soliotis.
- The Church of St Trinity in Zarouchla in the Municipality of Akrata with murals that date back to the 14th century.
- The Church of St Dimitrios in Kato Achaia (Municipality of Dymi) that was probably built in the middle of the 12th century.
- The Chapel of St Dimitrios in village Agrabela (Municipality of Aroania), probably built in the 10th century.
- The Church of Virgin’s Mary Birth in Daphne (Municipality of Paioi), of Byzantine style with cupola, one of the oldest religious monuments in the area, where the traveler can see admirable religious paintings.
- The Church of St Haralambos in Daphne, of byzantine style with rare lintels of carved stones.
- The Church of the Ascension in Seirroi of Basilica architecture without a dome that was built in about 1850. Its temple was manufactured in the 19th century from walnut. It has a capacity of 1.500 people. The bell and the walls at the entrance of the Church are of magnificent architecture.

Up