Τουριστική Πύλη Νομού Αχαΐας Logo

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)
About Achaia -> Getting here

Getting here

E-mail Print PDF
A+ A -A Larger Font Smaller Font

Achaia is accessible by car, train, ferry or even airplane. Two National Highways – the Old and the New connect Achaia with the rest of Peloponnisos. The New National Highway of Patras-Korinthos- Athens sub serves transport from and towards Athens as well as from and towards Korinthos, Nayplio, Tripoli, Epidaurus and the rest regions of Peloponnisos. The road needs to be driven carefully because there is no safety line.

 

Νέα Εθνική Οδός Πατρών - Κορίνθου - Αθηνών

On Achaia region there are several entrance and exit gates from New National Highway, at:

  • 148th klm (coming from Athens) to Aigeira and Akrata
  • 159th klm to Diakopto and Kalavrita
  • 172nd klm to Aigio
  • 182nd klm to Loggos
  • 206th klm to Rio.

The New National Highway of Patras-Pyrgos leads to Pyrgos, Ancient Olympia, Kyllini (where you can take the ferry to Kefallonia, Ithaca, Zakynthos) and Kalamata.

There are several exit gates from New National Highway of Patras- Pyrgos, the most important of which are situated at:

  • 16th klm to Industrial Area and to Municipality of Vrachneika
  • 20th klm to Municipality of Olenia
  • 23d klm to Kato Achaia and to the west coast
  • 30th klm to Agios Nikolaos at Spata
  • 35.5th klm to Araxos Airport, Metochi and Kalogria Beach.
alt

Route "111" connects Achaia to Arkadia, while there is also a very good road network at the inner parts of the region towards all the villages nearby. Easily accessible are also the Municipalities of Aroania, Leykasio and Paia through New National Highway of Athens- Tripoli. And through New National Highway of Tripoli-Patras ("111"), you can easily reach the three municipalities mentioned above.

By railway, Achaia is connected to Athens and Piraeus, to Pyrgos and Kalamata.

However, you should not miss Odondotos line, which connects Diakopto with Kalavryta through the magnificent Vouraikos canyon.

There is also coastal shipping from and to the Ionian Islands such as Kefallonia, Ithaca and Kerkyra.

The port of Aigion connects the region of Achaia to the one of Fokida, while it welcomes merchant ship as well. One more port is situated at Rio, easing the transport from Rio to Antirrio. It is the well-known Rio-Antirrio ferryboat.

Close to the ports, there is Patra’s marine, to offer hospitality to all the sailors owning their own sailing boats.

alt

In most places, especially on the seacoast, there are some natural little ponds acting as boats’ shelters. The region has also got an airport at the area of Araxos (Municipality of Dymi –Western Achaia), which accommodates charter flights, while its expansion is under schedule.

alt alt

 

 

In the same category

Prefecture of Achaia
  Achaia Prefecture is located in the northwestern Peloponnese. It covers an area of 3271 square kilometres, has a population of 327.316 inhabitants (2001) and it is the main gateway connecting Greece with rest EU countries through the Port of Patras.  Prefecture of Achaia... Read more...
Getting here
Achaia is accessible by car, train, ferry or even airplane. Two National Highways – the Old and the New connect Achaia with the rest of Peloponnisos. The New National Highway of Patras-Korinthos- Athens sub serves transport from and towards Athens as well as from and towards Korinthos,... Read more...
Climate
Because of its mild and temperate climate, Achaia attracts many visitors all year through. Snow hardly ever forgets Achaia during winter. It turns all the mountain chains white inviting us to enjoy it. Usually, there are no extreme weather conditions, neither during winter nor in summer. Besides,... Read more...
Religion
RELIGION IN GREECE AND ACHAIA... 97% of the population is Orthodox Christians. The remaining 3% includes Muslims, Catholics and Jews. Such a high percentage of Orthodox Christians is found only in Russia. The Orthodox Church is the third largest branch of Christianity.  According to Orthodox... Read more...
Rio - Antirrio Bridge
 The Bridge of Rion-Antirrio "Charilaos Trikoupis"   A new era in traffic and transport started throughout Western Greece, with the completion of the work of Rion- Antirrio Bridge.    ... Read more...
Language
The official language of modern and ancient Greece is Greek language, but the majority of the population also speaks English. It is important to mention that due to its specific geographical location, Achaia has close relations with Italy through the port of Patras and thus Italian language is also... Read more...