Τουριστική Πύλη Νομού Αχαΐας Logo

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)
Attractions -> Architecture -> Patras

Patras

E-mail Print PDF
A+ A -A Larger Font Smaller Font

faros2.jpgFranks, Venetians, Romans, Byzantines, all "contributed" in the creation of the historical and architectural profile of Patras. The ancient Odeon "most valuable throughout Greece after Irodio Odeon" according to Pausanias, the Castle, the old Church of St. Andrew (1836 - 1843) testify the passing of centuries over the capital of Achaia.  

The buildings that raise interest are in the center of Patras, the modern neoclassic buildings and arcades, with which the city was decorated in late 19th century and witness the prosperity of the city in that time. Ernest Ziller designed agiou_nikolaou.pngthe neoclassical buildings that can be found in King George Square (central city) as the Municipal Theatre "Apollo" (1871) and the building of Commercial Association. Almost all the central streets of Patras, and the Upper Town is full of two-storey buildings (with paintings on the ceiling , frescoes and antefixes) as well as arcades and staircases. Of special architectural interest is the Catholic church of St Andrew and the Anglican church of Patras.

Specifically, the buildings of the city that one must visit are:  

 

  • Apollo Municipal Theatre (1871), at King George Square, the work of Ernsttheatro_apollon.JPG Ziller, a center of cultural life of Patras that hosts numerous cultural events.

 

  • Old Municipal Hospital of Patras (1857), Square Koryllou 2, the work of Danish architecthospital.jpg Ch. Hansen,  functioned as a hospital from 1872 to 1973. Nowadays, it hosts cultural events (concerts, performances, talks,) exploiting the whole building and transforming it to an arts center. 

 

  • Municipal Hall (1880), in Maizonos 108, an imposing building, the side of which is located at Maizonos and extends from the corner of Pantanassis street to the corner of the street Votsi. It presents an impressive entrance with marble balconies and it is decorated with the frames and sculptures.

 

  • papagianni.jpgResidence Papagiannis, work of architect Ernst Ziller and built in 1972. It is a three-storey building located on the east side of the square Vas. George, offering view to three sides, on the road Gerokostopoulou and two others in Kanakari and the square, the ground floor has arcades and arched openings.
     
  • Residence Thomopoulos, work of architect Ernst Ziller was built in 1870. Itthomopoulos.jpg is a three-storey corner building on the north side of the square Vas. George, that has arched openings on each side, a typical example of urban neo-classical 19th century residence.

  

  • Gina residence, was built in 1832, according to the date indicated aboveoikia_tzini.jpg the entrance of the building. Located at the intersection of St. Nicholas and Maizonos and is one of the few remaining examples of early architecture of Patras, the first freedom years after 1821.


  • kremidi.jpgKremmydi residence, was built in approximatelly in 1840. It is at the intersection of St. Nicholas and Maizonos and unique example of early urban post-revolution period. It is a three-storey building with a porch with arched openings in the floor, resting on square stone pillars.    

     
  • Residence Perivolaropoulou, located on the corner of St. Nicholas and Maizonos. It is a storey neoclassical style building built in the late 19thperibolaropoulou.jpg century, with ground floor porch to the sidewalk of St. Nicholas Street, which was based on marble Ionic columns and has painted decoration on the top. It has an impressive entrance with a marble staircase leading to the floor which has decorated ceilings with paintings, typical of a neoclassical mansions of its era.


 

  • Prapopoulos residence, was built in the late 19th century and is situated at the junction of St. Nicholas and Corinthou streets. It is a two storey building with ground floor arches,prapopoulou.jpg whose morphology differs from neo-classicism, neo-baroque style incorporating elements that distinguish it as a building of its time. It is a unique example of architecture of Patras 19th century, which differs from the spirit of neoclassicism with a selective manner using data from the European architecture of the period.


 

  • Galanopoulos residence, is located in the upper city of Patras on the road Paleon Patron Germanos, in St. George. It is a two-storey house withgalanopoulou.jpg garden to the side and rear, built in 1924 designed by Alexander Chatziliakou. It is characteristic of the interwar period town house, with eclectic style, incorporating elements Art-Deco.
     

 

  • Golfinopoulos Residence, built in 1917 on the west side of the square Psila Aloni and street Messolongiou. It is two storey building with eclecticgolfinopoulou.jpg styleand it incorporates elements from styles such as Art Nouveau. Distinctive feature is the circular shape of corner portion of the building which results in a dome covered with metal plates, which gives it a special character and charm.


 

  • Patras Courthouse, was designed by architect PD Karathanasopoulos and began to be built in 1926 and the inauguration took place on 1/10/1931. Itdikastirio.jpg is a prestigious building and occupies the city block bounded by the streets of Corinthou, Gounari, Maizonos and Kanari, and has a small atrium inside. It incorporates elements of classicism, making "dialogue" with the old classic style of the city, but varied with the impressive volume and bracket.


 

  • Old church of St. Andrew, was built between 1836 and 1843 over the ruins of the older temple, which existed since the Venetians and was destroyed by the Turkish Albanians in 1770. It's basilica has a porch with five archedpalios_agios_andreas.jpg openings on the side, and was a project of architect Lysander Kaftantzoglou. It was the first church built in Patras in post-revolution period and was the Cathedral of the city for the period 1845-1856. The painting on the ceiling of the temple refers to the corresponding style of western churches of Ionian islands, and shows Old Testament patriarchs and saints, including the Saint Andreas to whom the church is dedicated. In the north, stands the stone tower built in the late 19th century which replaced the original wood.


  • New Church of St. Andrew, is located adjacent to the old and the decision for each building was taken in the early 20th century. Work of French architect Em. RobertAgios_Andreas.jpg was found in 1908 and inaugurated on September 26, 1974. At th entrance there are decorated paintings which follow the Byzantine style, to make a brilliant ecclesiastical monument, which together with the historic old temple attracts thousands of pilgrims from every corner of Greece and around the world.


  • Church of the Annunciation of Holly Mary, is located on Maizonos in the heart of Patras and it is the cathedral of the city. The foundation waseuaggelismos_theotokou.jpg made in 1842 and inaugurated in 1846, while the building was completed in 1856. Important works of art are the carved wooden figures of the church, the doors of the sanctuary, the brass chandeliers, etc. works of important masters of the 19th and early 20th century, and donations of old Patras families.


 

  • Pantanassa Church, at street, Al. Ipsilantou and Pantanassis, a project of architect Athanasios Frearitis and L;ysandros Kaftantzoglou, is one of thepantanassa.jpg shining examples of neoclassical temples in the 19th century. It is the second church dedicated to Virgin Mary in the city of Patras and was founded in 1857 and inaugurated on August 30, 1859. The interior is adorned by many other offerings of great artistic and historical value, donations of prominent families of Patras and other people.


  • Church of Pantocratoras, located in Upper Town at street Pantocrator ispantokratoras.jpg the oldest operating Christian monument in Patras. Ecclesiastical Byzantine monument is a basilica with a central dome to be based on four spherical triangles. It has been built over the the Temple of Olympian Zeus of the ancient Agora of Patras and became an Ottoman Mosque (Mosque) during the Turkish occupation.


  • Anglican Church of St. Andrew, is located on an asset granted to members of the Anglicanagglikanikos.jpg community of Patras, at the intersection of St. Andrew and Charles. The architectural style of the temple follows the Anglican standards, borrowing elements from their respective churches in England, has been carefully manufactured with stone. It is neo-Gothic style with roofed entrance on the east side of the church and a tower which stands on the west side.


  • Catholic Church of St. Andrew, belonging to Roman Catholic doctrine, is at Maizonos street and serves the religious needs of the Catholic populationkatholikos.jpg of Patras. The architectural style of the temple follows the western Italian style, with simple facade, which stands in the center of the tower. In the temple there are two side altars, dedicated to Our Lady and Saint Joseph.


 

  • Maragopoulos Building, located on St. Andreas street, occupies the western front of the block between the streets and D. Votsi Philopoimenos. It is a brilliant building which at the time, was a luxurious shop, built around 1915 and is an eclectic architectural jewel of the first decades of the twentieth century, with many morphological features and Art Nouveau style. Beautiful element of the building is the circular shape of corner portion located on the corner of D Street Votsi, which ends in a dome covered with metal plates, which gives it a special character and charm.

  • The municipal slaughterhouse, located on the south side of town on Coast Dymaion, at position 'Krya' Iteon. The complex of Municipaldimotika_sfageia.jpg Slauter Houses built in 1903 was designed by architect George Lykoudis. It occupies an area of approximately 20 acres, which includes a large central building and other smaller associated buildings which housed offices. The buildings are of special architectural interest, are made of carved stone, openings are framed by stone strips and edges are decorated with large cornerstones.


 

  • Old Turkish Baths - Hammam, located in the upper city of Patras, at Boukaouri street, at  the junction with Pantocrator street. Its construction dates back to the 17th century,includingthree Hamams. A Turkish traveler, mentioned that he visited it along with two others at the region where the Turkish market of Patras was located. The hot section survives , with two private rooms. It is a rectangular area 6.40 x 3, 80 m. located in the center of the dome, the height of which is 5.10 m. The two warm rooms are square and covered by hemispherical domes with low triangular plumes. The entrances to the sites have arched openings. It is notable that the Hamam never stopped operating and now continues to provide beneficial services to those who visit it.

  • King George A' square is the central of Patras. Created by governor Kapodistrias, according to the plan designed by Stamatis Voulgarisplateia_georgiou.JPG representative of the governor in 1829. The project aimed at the creation of Patras from the beginning, since the city was destroyed completely during the revolution. The project included development of a new city next to the old one with vertical and horizontal streets and new large squares. During times it has changed many names. It began as a Republic square, has changed to Kalamogdartis, Othonas, Central, Thomopoulos, National, and Palligenesias and since 1863 got the name King George A'. In 1875 the two fountains were placed, ordered in Italy. It is the center of carnival events and a place of political gatherings and concerts.
     
  • Square Psila Alonia, is a famous area of Patras in the city center, one of the most beautiful squares in Greece. It is the focus of the events of 1st of May and many Carnival events take place in this square. Overlooking the harbor, towering palms and countless visitors. Here is the statue of palaion Patron Germanos, a leader of the Revolution of 1821, the statue of Kostis Palamas and a solar clock. The name of the square resulted from the earlier use of the square which was a threshing floor for raisins.
     
  • Olgas Square, was named after the wife of King George A. It used to be called Omonia Square. Located between Maizonos, Aratou, Riga Ferraiou and Kolokotron streets. According to the original city plan it was intended to become a grain market, but then it was forested and was named the "the garden of the queen". Today it is renamed to "National Resistance". The shade of the trees offer residents and visitors cool moments during the summer months.
     
  • Square of Three Allies, (Trion Simachon) is rather small and lies at the end of St. Nicholas street in front of the central pier. It is the first point anynone sees arriving by boat.

     
  • Paved Road of Three Admirals, (Trion Navarchon) forming a huge square, perhaps the largest in the city, along which are numerous restaurants. Ends below the stairs of Psila Alonia, where lies the ancient city wall. Until a few years ago on the wall were found three bollards (docking spots), which reinforces the view that onec the sea used to reach up to that point.

     
  • St. George square (or 25th of March), opposite of the Ancient Odeon of Patras is the historic square where the Achaians along with Palion Patron Germano vowed to fight wholeheartedly and win "liberty or death".

 

 

In the same category

Traditional Mountain Villages
The villages are built on hills, slopes and plateaus near running water. At the highest point, usually the church is built and next to it a fountain. The traditional house consists of a ground floor and an upper floor. The cellar is used for storing goods and for keeping animals and the upper floor... Read more...
Towers and tower-houses
A distinctive and admirable kind of traditional architecture, which reflects the need for defense during a very turbulent era of the period 1770 - 1830, are the towers and the tower-houses, projects of Varvarita builders. They have three floors and defensive use is evident with battlements and... Read more...
Psathopirgos
Psathopyrgos village of Rio municipality, brings you a traditional sense in terms of buildings, climate and people. Taverns, fishing boats and low houses, reminds the visitor of an island.  Psathopirgos, formelly called Zachoulitika or Zachouliotika is a village 16.4 km northeast of Patras. If... Read more...
Achaia Clauss winery
The facilities of the Achaia Clauss winery in Messatida, constitutes a museum of architecture. The factory was built in 1861 by the Consul of Germany Gustav Clauss. The magnificent stone buildings and additions that have received the following years, within a green landscape, make Achaia Clauss a... Read more...
Aigio
German architect Ernest Ziller left its mark on the city's temples Aigio. Based on his plans, the church of Panagia Faneromeni and the Temple of Holly Mary, were built. There are many classic buildings that reflect the construction boom of Aigio city during the years of raisin production and... Read more...
Patras
Franks, Venetians, Romans, Byzantines, all "contributed" in the creation of the historical and architectural profile of Patras. The ancient Odeon "most valuable throughout Greece after Irodio Odeon" according to Pausanias, the Castle, the old Church of St. Andrew (1836 - 1843)... Read more...
Architecture
Prefecture of Achaia has to present a wealth of buildings with unique architecture, influenced by different patterns of time. Characteristic are the buildings erected in the 19th and 20th centuries, and there is a set of industrial buildings that illustrate the economic and commercial development... Read more...
Alykes
Northwest of Kato Achaia, the village of Alikes, is a dreamy place to spent time without stress. This is a fishing village that took its name from the salt production facilities that used to be there. The houses of Alikes maintain their traditional color, while all daylife aspects are relative to... Read more...
Egglezika
Outside of Patras, west of Ities point and at the height of the Old National Road in municipality if Paralia, the mansions of the British (known as Egglezika) are suited. They were built based on neoclassical and foreign architecture styles.  They are remnants of the flourishing British... Read more...